Re: potato install

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 10:22:34AM -0600, Jeremiah Merkl wrote:

> Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 04:16:47PM -0600, Jeremiah Merkl wrote:
> > > ...wow...that was slick. I did a network install, and only had one problem.
> > >
> > > Installed on a G3-all-in-one 233MHz, 96M ram, using BootX (will
> > > switch to yaboot soon).
> >
> > make sure you create a 800K Apple_Bootstrap type bootstrap partition
> > as the first partition on the disk.
>
> Already done, in preparation. :) Now I just have to sit down and read how to use
> yaboot/ybin properly. Anyone have those pointers to online docs done yet?

there are some docs i wrote on my page at
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/debian/  for initial bootstrap setup
from the boot floppies.  the rest you should be able to gain from
reading the ybin, yaboot, yaboot.conf, and bootstrap man pages.

> I had no problem doing that, but still. How big are the files in /dev that the
> hdc and hdd files were left out? Shouldn't they just have been there for
> completeness, in case the odd non-apple powermac actually uses hdc?

[eb@socrates eb]$ stat /dev/hda
  File: "/dev/hda"
  Size: 0          Blocks: 0         Block Device
Access: (0660/brw-rw----)         Uid: (    0/    root)  Gid: (    6/
disk)
Device: 303        Inode: 9318       Links: 1     Device type: 3,0
Access: Mon May  1 03:51:09 2000
Modify: Mon May  1 03:51:09 2000
Change: Mon May  1 03:51:09 2000

it seems they only take an inode and no actual disk space. so i agree
there is really no reason they should not be there.

> > > So who gets the bug report?  base, base-files, base-config, or what?
> >
> > not sure..
>
> :) Anyone else have any thoughts? I'll file it against base-files otherwise, and
> let the maintainer to tell me that it's not their problem.

what package does the base tarball belong to?  it seems that is where
the nodes come from, they do not appear to belong to a package.
though MAKEDEV std should create them...

> blast. You mean I shouldn't be running several of my machines under "unstable"?
> :) I'm just a glutton for punishment, I guess. :)

well right now frozen is more up to date then woody.  and woody does
not even have a compiler anymore apparently.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/