Re: Status of USB-support in debian-powerpc

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 04:52:23PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> I'd like to know the status of the USB-support in debian-powerpc port.
> I'm currently using the Potato release (kernel 2.2.14) with the
> USB-backport from kernel 2.3.99pre6 (see
> "http://www.suse.cz/development/usb-backport/";) on an i386, since my
> USB-keyboard/-mouse definitly needs this backport. When Potato becomes
> final (need a working CD before I can start) I'd like to install it on
> my b&wG3, using the same keyboard/mouse through an USB-switchbox.
>
> Since kernel 2.4 definitly won't be ready, I strongly favour an
> inclusion of this USB-backport into Potato, even as a separate Debian
> package. Michael Vogt voluntiered to build such a package (see
> "http://members.xoom.com/mydebs/debian/usb/";). Could anybody check it on
> a PPC? And does anyone support the inclusion into Potato?

The powerpc kernels have enough of the USB "backporting" in them to
definately keyboard and mouse usable.  I don't think that it covers all of
the drivers, though.  I'm running my G4 with the latest potato boot kernel,
and keyboard and mouse work fine.  (The older kernel had problems with the
mouse "letting go" of things as I dragged them).

David Brown