How to switch to debian on a powermac G4?

I am trying to set up a linux server on a powermac in order to
evaluate some software.

Our first attempt was for various reasons based on Yellow Dog Linux,
and that went ok. We got the thing up and running.

However, besides missing the nice warm feel of a debian system, YDL is
not suitable for the software in question, since that requires glibc
2.0 while YDL, like most other modern linuxes, comes with glib 2.1 (or
is 2.2, but not compatible), and my attempts at fixing that situation
has so far failed miserably.

The recommended linux is LinuxPPC-R4 (or some MkLinux variant), but I
really want to try out Debian, but I have a hard getting the darned
installation program going.

I have the disk partitioned and set up, and the contents of
disks-powerpc on the second partition, but since the G4 has no floppy
disk I am a little lost on how to get the installation going.

I tried burning a CD with the boot-...-hfs.img, but I cannot get the
Mac to boot form that, if that was the intention.

I also tried BootX (which seems like the best option), and this also
boots into linux with the kernel supplied, but the boot hangs after
the recognition of the drives (hda/hdc).

I am missing some kernel options in the BootX configuration? Should
there be more files than the ramdisk image present somewhere for the
installation program to get going?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I seem to so close, and that is
really frustrating :-)

Christian Lynbech          | Ericsson Telebit, Fabrikvej 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Fax:   +45 8675 6881       | email: chl@ericssontelebit.com
Phone: +45 8675 6828       | web:   www.ericssontelebit.com
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)