Re: XFree86 4.0 binaries

Sven LUTHER wrote:

> On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 10:52:12AM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Sven LUTHER wrote:
> >
> > > but when i enter a bad login in gdm, the gdm requester shivers from right to
> > > left and vice versa, about 10-20 pixels, becoming less, before stabilizing.
> > > Did you already encounter such a problem ?
> >
> > To quote Microsoft, "That's not a bug, it's a feature."  I think it's kind of cute. :-)
> >
> > To turn it off, edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf, change "Quiver=1" to (I guess) "Quiver=0".
>
> Ahem, ...
>
> how comes i see it when using 4.0 + pm3 accel, and not when using 4.0 with pm3
> noaccel nor 3.3.6 + svga (using G400 board).
>
> maybe the last one is due to Quiver being disabled on the box with the G400,
> but how comes gdm knows how to differentiate between accel and noaccel 4.0
> servers ?

I don't think gdm is that intelligent, are you sure this is not just a speed issue?  (I.e.
noaccel may be too slow to move it around noticeably.)  I see the quiver on every platform,
from Netwinder with unaccel cyber2000fb (talk about slow video, it only draws a couple of
frames of quiver!), to Intel with Voodoo3, to StarMax (pmac 4400 clone) with atyfb.  Haven't
tried XFree 4.0 though...

-Adam P.