Re: sound problems with G3 powerbook

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 11:09:26AM +1200, Stephen Judd wrote:
> I've got a /dev/audio, and a /dev/dsp. I tried to cat a .au file to
> /dev/audio, but nothing happens.

I haven't had good luck with cat.  xmms works well, though.  So does
mpg123.

> Looking at the gnome mixer, all the volume levels are cranked up.
>
> I can play sound under MacOS 9.
>
> I'm out of ideas now, so any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'd
> settle for a simple system beep at this point :-)

I would start by trying to get the beep working first.  You might also try
headphones in the headphone jack to see if anything is coming out there.

I tried several mixer programs, and the only one that seemed to work was
kmix.  Unfortunately, that uses non-free qt.  If nothing else works, you
could make a small program that issues a mixer ioctl to turn up the volume.

David Brown