Re: FBDev crashes

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 03:34:56PM +0200, Andre Berger wrote:
> I couldn't find the RPM, so I installed Xpmac_rage128_usb.rev10.gz (and
> unchecked the No Video Driver kernel argument in BootX)
>
> positive:
> -       works without crashes! and is faster!
>
> neutral:
> -       neither -mach64 nor -ct6555 work here
>
> negative:
> -       no documentation -- does anybody have a URL for the RPM?

<ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/champion-1.2/SRPMS/SRPMS/XFree86-3.3.6-11.2.src.rpm>
has sources and patches for Xpmac.  I don't know if it is related to the
Xpmac_rage128_usb as seen above.

They have a binary rpm in
<ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/champion-1.2/ppc/YellowDog/RPMS/XFree86-Xpmac-3.3.6-11.2.ppc.rpm>

I've tried this server, and it seems to work.  It does support both the ADB
and the USB mouse.  It is also just as slow as the other Xpmac server.

> -       I can enter "Xpmac -middlebutton 101" on the command line, but a
> first line in /etc/X11/Xserver like "/usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac -middlebutton
> 101" doesn't work. How can I pass arguments to Xpmac for the use with
> gdm?

in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, near the end, is a section [servers], you'll find
0=/usr/bin/X11/X vt7, add your option here.

> strange:
> -       does Xpmac really read /etc/X11/XF86Config?

No.  It has the following options from the rpm's manpage:

       -mode number -depth number
               arranges that the given screen will operate at the
               given  vmode and depth. Supported depths are 8, 16
               and 32. The server starts up, by default,  in  the
               current  video  mode.  This option must be used to
               modify that behavior.

       -nooptionmouse
               causes the mouse keys  to  generate  mouse  button
               presses without holding down the option key.

       -middlekey [key], -rightkey [key]
               Sets the decimal keycode for simulating the middle
               or right mouse buttons.   -nooptionpower  disables
               the  use  of  option+power to kill X. command+con-
               trol+power will still kill the server.

       -nomacgamma
               disables gamma correction for Macintosh monitors

       -novtswitch
               Disables  virtual  terminal  switching  via   con-
               trol+command+F[1-12].

       -keeptty
               Use  current  virtual  terminal  and do not detach
               controlling tty on startup (for debugging only).

       vtXX    Use the specified VT number on startup

Dave Brown