Re: FBDev crashes

> Andre Berger wrote:
>
> > (**) FBDev: Using XF86Config video mode database
> > (--) FBDev: Frame buffer device: OFfb chips65550
> > (--) FBDev: Video memory: 975K @ 0x81800200
> > (--) FBDev: MMIO regs: 0K @ (nil)
> > (--) FBDev: Type 0 type_aux 0 bits_per_pixel 16
> > (--) FBDev: Hardware accelerator: None
> > (--) FBDev: No driver support for hardware acceleration
> > bpp = 16, depth = 15, BitsPerRGB = 5
> > (--) FBDev: Using cfb16 driver
>
> Another thing to point out, is that XFBDev is really, really slow using
> No Video Driver checked (as shown above with Hardware accelerator:None),
> you would be much better off either unchecking no video driver (which
> might cause problems on your machine with video) or using Xpmac with the
> -mach64  flag (or whatever neccessary flag for your video card is).
> Xpmac acceleration is independent of the Frame Buffer, so it works with
> No Video Driver checked.
>
> You can install Xpmac by using alien on the Xpmac RPM and installing or
> getting the Xpmac_rage128_usb.rev10.gz from linuxppc.org. After you
> install that, change the first line of /etc/X11/Xserver to read:
> /etc/X11R6/bin/Xpmac

I couldn't find the RPM, so I installed Xpmac_rage128_usb.rev10.gz (and
unchecked the No Video Driver kernel argument in BootX)

positive:
-       works without crashes! and is faster!

neutral:
-       neither -mach64 nor -ct6555 work here

negative:
-       no documentation -- does anybody have a URL for the RPM?
-       I can enter "Xpmac -middlebutton 101" on the command line, but a
first line in /etc/X11/Xserver like "/usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac -middlebutton
101" doesn't work. How can I pass arguments to Xpmac for the use with
gdm?

strange:
-       does Xpmac really read /etc/X11/XF86Config?

--
Andre Berger <andre.berger@topmail.de> from Bonn, Germany