Re: 3.9.18 PPC X server

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Michel Dδnzer wrote:

> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Michel [iso-8859-1] Dδnzer wrote:
> > > This fixes quite some bugs, give it a try if you've been deceived by 3.9.17f,
> > > especially as the tarballs are smaller now :)
> >
> > I tried it on my CHRP-box with plain fbdev (on atyfb).
> >
> > It locks up my machine, right after `Loading
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libshadowfb.a' (I was logged in remotely). The screen
> > got black, and the machine stops working. It still respond to ping and the
> > Caps-Lock key toggles the Caps-Lock LED. I cannot change VCs. Ssh no longer
> > works, but if I telnet to port 22, I do get a `connected' message. So some
> > things are still working. Does the X server try to mess with my PCI
> > devices/resources?
>
> Yes, as Kostas pointed out, it does...
>
> Additionally, I only hacked up some PCI code originally intended for Alphas to
> _build_ on APUS, it may only work here because APUS has no PCI...
>
> Kostas is working on it, and I'm confident he'll get it right.

The Xserver by design disables the pci video cards its not using and there
is not a simple way to know which pci card a given fbdev driver is using
(Jeff Garzik suggested to use the smem_start/mmio_start values from fbdev to
detect that which is the best we can do i suppose)
 Thats not going to solve the problems in a multihead system though imagine
that you have a console running in one card and you start the xserver in the
other, the xserver will disable the other card (since its not using it) and
that will cause problems obviously.