Re: xmms plays scratchy MP3's under esound

--- Renaud Dreyer <rdreyer@math.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Following a recommendation of Kevin Puetz, I've been playing MP'3
> under xmms using the esound plugin (the OSS plugin doesn't work on
> PowerMac's right now).  However I get a very scratchy sound, full of
> static, as if I was listening to a radio station under a lot of
> interference.

I have experienced the same problem with esd. It has started after it has
been fixed for ppc (it used to be built for MkLinux sound)

> Is anyone else having this problem? I'm running a pure 2.2.14 (from
> kernel.org) kernel, patched only for rage128 fb, on a PowerMac 7300.
> Could this be a problem with dmasound? If so, is there a patch?

I can only imagine it's a problem with buffer size/synchronization ...

Michel

=====
"Software is like sex; it's better when it's free"
 -- Linus Torvalds

"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
 -- Windows 95 BSOD