xmms plays scratchy MP3's under esound

Following a recommendation of Kevin Puetz, I've been playing MP'3
under xmms using the esound plugin (the OSS plugin doesn't work on
PowerMac's right now).  However I get a very scratchy sound, full of
static, as if I was listening to a radio station under a lot of
interference.

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm running a pure 2.2.14 (from
kernel.org) kernel, patched only for rage128 fb, on a PowerMac 7300.
Could this be a problem with dmasound? If so, is there a patch?

I was earlier able to play MP3's perfectly with xmms/OSS under
LinuxPPC, on the same machine. Thanks,

          Renaud