modem works!, battery drains fast?

All

well I just tried the one init string suggested on Sergio Brandano's
powerbook page, and hey presto putting ATZ1 in as the modem initialisation
command makes the modem work correctly. (built in cobalt modem on a pismo)

from the AT command ref

Xn (using extended result codes)

You use the Xn command to set which result codes the modem can return. This
command also enables or disables busy-tone and dial-tone detection during
the dialing process.

.
.
.

X1 Disables monitoring of busy tones unless forced otherwise by country
requirements; send only OK, CONNECT, RING, NO CARRIER, ERROR, NO ANSWER, and
CONNECT XXXX (XXXX = rate). Blind dialing enabled/disabled by country
parameters. If busy tone detection is enforced and busy tone is detected, NO
CARRIER will be reported instead of BUSY. If dial tone detection is enforced
or selected and dial tone is not detected, NO CARRIER will be reported
instead of NO DIAL TONE. The value 100b is written to S22 bits 6, 5, and 4,
respectively.

Anyway that is good, so now when I am out of town or whatever I can still
get email etc easily.

Now the weird thing, I have just had my laptop off the power lead for about
10 minutes and it is already down to 95% battery left according to gkrellm
with the pmu plugin.

This seems to be a bit greedy power usage wise. Is the pismo still in the
realm of not being overly friendly to the power usage? Is the pmu in it
(keylargo?) still an unknown quality to a large extent and such?

Also what is the cpu doing? is there the ability to have it put to sleep
lots? I seem to remember linus did a hack a while back so his laptop had the
cpu being put to sleep every cycle if it was not needed or some such, (of
course as is often the case with linus hacks, it only worked on his laptop,
didnt even work on other vaio's or something was what I heard)

Just curious.

	See You
	    Steve

--