Re: wheee vmlinux worked

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 01:31:02PM +1100, Steven Hanley wrote:
> All
>
> my 2.4.0-test13-pre3 vmlinux (uncompressed) image worked :), I dont remember
> seeing in the yaboot faq or anywhere else a thing saying not to use the
> compressed images, oh well maybe I missed something.

hmm, maybe i should add a note about that.  yaboot does not support
compressed images (plain gzipped) and coff format images or the zImage
don't boot on newworlds.  (the decompressor is broken) only option for
yaboot is plain elf vmlinux.

> and to think I used to religously use the uncompressed images on my 7220 as
> I thought it was so neat we were not limited in image size llike on x86,
> then for some reason over time I jsut started using compressed images on my
> 7220 and now on this too, until now.

i assume .coff ?  personally i think it would be nice if yaboot
supported sparc style compressed images, that is plain gzipped
kernels, could be useful to speed up netboots (albeit not by that
much)

but either way coff images don't seem to work on newworlds.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/