More Mouse Problems

I'm having similar problems as our other mouse-troubled friend, on a g4 400.
A couple questions:

-What protocol should I use in XF86Config for the usb mouse?
-Is /dev/usbmouse the correct setting? (porbably a dumb quesiton, just
making sure ;)
-Could the problem be the fact that the mouse is on the keyboard hub?

But most importantly, how can I get back to the bash prompt?? The only way
to get out of the post-login debian screen is ctrl-alt-delete, which then
returns me to the graphical login, which I can't seem to escape. Until I can
get back to bash, I have no way of doing anything!

Thanx so much, any help is appreciated!

-Chris