Re: Can I boot Potato with OF 1.0.5 with floppy disk?

On  21 Dec, this message from Ethan Benson echoed through cyberspace:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 06:37:26AM -0800, Taro Fukunaga wrote:
>> I am trying to get my PowerCenter 120 with OF 1.0.5 to boot Potato from
>> a floppy disk. I already have Debian installed on this machine and it
>> works fine with BootX. I have successfully accessed OF via a second
>> computer through a printer cable (ttyb) and I use the output device as
>> /bandit/ATY,XCLAIM3DPro so it displays OF full-screen on my monitor. I
>
> you should be able to setenv output-device kbd or keyboard and use the
> console keyboard...

input-device, you surely meant ;-)

>> am using a modified SystemDisk from the NetBSD project to get into this.
>> However, when i copied vmlinux.gz to a msdos floppy in Linux and try to
>> boot off of it using the 'boot fd' command,  I get the message "can't
>> load from this device".

You need to copy an XCOFF image onto the floppy. Also, IIRC, the OF
floppy driver is terribly pesky about the floppy quality. You might have
to try a few disks before you find one that works...

> (As a side note, > eject fd ejects my floppy
>> disk -- cool!) Internal hard disk is connected to 2930 Ultra-SCSI card.
>> I have heard from NetBSD people that this is not bootable so that is why
>> I am trying a floppy disk.

Depends. IF the 2930 had an OF driver in ROM, you could boot from there.
If it's a PC-type card, then no...

> I am using kernel 2.2.18 downloaded and
>> compiled from ftp.kernel.org. I booted Linux off a floppy on this
>> machine about 3 years ago using LinuxPPC; floppy drive spun up much
>> faster than my hard disk so OF didn't time out (I didn't know that
>> timeout values could be programatically fixed at the time). I am not
>> using quik. when I type boot fd, I can hear the floppy drive doing
>> something.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might succeed?
>
> im not really sure on this but you might need to use an XCOFF image
> instead of elf for this..

Yes, definitely. I don't know about any filename conventions, though...

> do you still have an OF readable disk attached?  if so you might be
> able to put a /boot partition on that (ext2fs) and install quik there
> (with a bit of screwing around...) then you should be able to quik
> boot from that.  i wonder if quik can be installed on a floppy..

No idea... othe rthan that, quik works OK for me... once I got it
installed ok and working with my G3 upgrade card ;-)

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |