Can I boot Potato with OF 1.0.5 with floppy disk?

I am trying to get my PowerCenter 120 with OF 1.0.5 to boot Potato from
a floppy disk. I already have Debian installed on this machine and it
works fine with BootX. I have successfully accessed OF via a second
computer through a printer cable (ttyb) and I use the output device as
/bandit/ATY,XCLAIM3DPro so it displays OF full-screen on my monitor. I
am using a modified SystemDisk from the NetBSD project to get into this.
However, when i copied vmlinux.gz to a msdos floppy in Linux and try to
boot off of it using the 'boot fd' command,  I get the message "can't
load from this device". (As a side note, > eject fd ejects my floppy
disk -- cool!) Internal hard disk is connected to 2930 Ultra-SCSI card.
I have heard from NetBSD people that this is not bootable so that is why
I am trying a floppy disk. I am using kernel 2.2.18 downloaded and
compiled from ftp.kernel.org. I booted Linux off a floppy on this
machine about 3 years ago using LinuxPPC; floppy drive spun up much
faster than my hard disk so OF didn't time out (I didn't know that
timeout values could be programatically fixed at the time). I am not
using quik. when I type boot fd, I can hear the floppy drive doing
something.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might succeed?

Thank you for anyone's help,

-- Taro