Re: Help - cross-compiler for powerpc-linux

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 09:38:55AM -0600, Gentry, Jeff wrote:
> I posted this once before but I have suffered a major failure with my mail
> system.

If you want to have a sensible answer, please don't cross post. The
debian-ppc or the gcc list should be enough. Debian-announce,
debian-news, and gcc-patches are definatively *not* for questions. I've
set the followups to the GCC and the debian-ppc lists.

> I am a newbie to gnu, linux, and powerpc.
> I need to generate a cross-toolchain for host=i686-linux and
> target=powerpc-linux.

Hmm, to get yourself a feeling of linux and gcc, I'd suggest to compile
gcc-2.95.2 for your PC first.

> I have Debian GNU/Linux 'potato' cds for:
> i386-binaries
> powerpc-binaries
> all-sources
>
> I do not have any access to a powerpc machine. My code will be for an
> embedded system running Linux.
>
> Can I get the required target libraries and header files to build
> powerpc-linux-gcc from these cds?

Yes, probably. "apt-get source gcc" should do it, see "man apt-get" for
details.

> If so can someone give me some details?
> If not can someone offer an alterative? - maybe even a system to ftp files
> from?

It might be better to use pristine sources. You need the sources for
binutils, gcc. If you want to be able to build binaries for the PowerPC
platform, you need glibc and linux sources as well.

Anyway, the Gcc FAQ has an entry about cross compiling:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/fom_serv/cache/45.html

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl