potato->woody upgrade.

I decided to upgrade to woody from potato. This was precipitated in part
by needing a new modutils; when i tried to manually install the deb from
woody, I found that it depended on a newer libc than what I had.

Now, I was unable to find anything but the most vague documentation on how
to do the upgrade, but what I did was to go through /etc/apt/sources.list
and change all instances of "stable" to "woody", then did apt-get update;
apt-get dist-upgrade. It wound up upgrading ~100 packages.

Then I checked on the version of modutils it installed. Which it didn't: I
have version 2.3.11, which is what I had in the first place. I expected
2.3.21, since that's what you see when you go to ftp.debian.org
and look in /debian/dists/woody/main/binary-powerpc/base/. However apt and
dselect think that everything is up to date. As for libc6, that's sitting
where is always was, at version 2.1.3-13, instead of the version that's in
the ftp archives (2.2-5).

What's going wrong?

Cheers,
-pm