Re: .Xmodmap and new input layer, upgrades and breakage

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 03:42:03PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> >
> > I'm not in front of my Debian box. What is used to generate the /dev nodes ? A
> > postinstall script ? of which package ? Is it in the base.tgz ?
>
> the nodes in /dev are in base2_2.tgz, but they are also
> generated/maintained by /dev/MAKEDEV in the makedev package.  when
> this package is upgraded any new standard nodes are created.
>
> IMO makedev should have been taught about the /dev/input/* nodes and
> put into r2.  (since the new kernel that went into r2 uses them)
> makedev would have been upgraded, its postinst would have updated /dev
> creating /dev/input and everything would be everything again.  (except
> gpm and X would probably have to be fixed by the user or they might
> have to repoint /dev/mouse but thats not so bad)

Yes, this is what I had in mind.

As for Bastien's point, "RTFM", I think that is appropriate for a point upgrade,
e.g. slink to potato, but a minor upgrade to 2.2r2 should really not require paging
through oodles of kernel docs in the console (because X won't start without the
pointer).  Maybe we need some kind of call for testing before a new rev release, to
catch problems like this?

And thanks everyone for the pointers on the ADB kb.  I'll work on it when I get
some time.

-Adam P.