Re: The monitor is "orange"

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 11:37:49AM -0800, PeHaSys@SoftHome.Net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am the "buddy", who is helping Dean.
>
> First of all, I need to say that some of the instructions are ... incorrect.
> The manual
> (http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch-init-config.en.html)
> mentions
>
> nvsetenv `ofpath /dev/sda2`
>
> but that doesn't work:
> 1) there is no path to nvsetenv
> 2) ofpath is not found-able (find /|grep ofpath)
> 3) missing "boot-device" in the command
> 4) missing /dev/nvram

your using obsolete boot floppies, you need boot-floppies 2.2.20, the
documentation IS correct.  (unless somebody really screwed something
up in the last minute)

> After reboot, the computer stays "dead" - monitor's LED goes green for few
> seconds and then back to orange. Combinations like Alt-Cmd-P-R or
> Alt-Cmd-O-F don't do anything.

quik booting isn't gaurenteed to work reliably, sometimes it takes
some work.

> Could you, please, help? What did I do wrong? Is there any way to "reset"
> CMOS (NVRAM or what is it called on Macs)?

hold down command option p r while cold booting the machine, that will
make it boot macos again.

> Is there a way to boot from rescue.bin with parameters? I am unable to to
> that as well (you know, from lilo prompt "linux root=/dev/sda3" that we can
> do on i386).

not that i know of.

--
Ethan Benson