Re: The monitor is "orange"

> > First of all, I need to say that some of the instructions are ... incorrect.
> > The manual
> > (http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch-init-config.en.html)
> > mentions
> > nvsetenv `ofpath /dev/sda2`
> > but that doesn't work:
> > 1) there is no path to nvsetenv
> > 2) ofpath is not found-able (find /|grep ofpath)
> > 3) missing "boot-device" in the command
> > 4) missing /dev/nvram
> your using obsolete boot floppies, you need boot-floppies 2.2.20, the
> documentation IS correct.  (unless somebody really screwed something
> up in the last minute)

The documentation bug is 3), missing "boot-device". Well, I am not sure, but
at least in 2.2r0 command "nvsetenv `ofpath /dev/sda2`" didn't work (it
printed out some error message) while "nvsetenv boot-device `ofpath
/dev/sda2`" did work (well, not successfully, but I still have to prove it).
The documentation I checked is
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch-init-config.en.html and
chapter I am talking about is 7.17. So, I think, the documentation is wrong
there (or, you could say, there is a "typo").

I will try once more whatever is in 2.2r0 and if that fails again, I will
create those ~10 diskettes and try 2.2.19-2000-12-03
(ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-powerpc/current - it
looks like 2.2.20 is not released yet?). Too bad CD images are not released
yet (I guess I cannot combine boot+rescue from 2.2.19 with 2.2r0 CD...).

> > After reboot, the computer stays "dead" - monitor's LED goes green for few
> > seconds and then back to orange. Combinations like Alt-Cmd-P-R or
> > Alt-Cmd-O-F don't do anything.
> quik booting isn't gaurenteed to work reliably, sometimes it takes
> some work.

I realized it was my fault when I was adding ofpath. The Mac obviously
didn't like my VFAT floppy disk left in its drive and didn't want to spit it
out either (until I used a paper clip). Alt-Cmd-P-R worked again after that.

> > Could you, please, help? What did I do wrong? Is there any way to "reset"
> > CMOS (NVRAM or what is it called on Macs)?
> hold down command option p r while cold booting the machine, that will
> make it boot macos again.

That didn't work...because I left "evil" diskette in its drive (and it's, or
will be, Linux only).

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I will play with it more tomorrow and
will let you know how it went.

 - Peter.

P.S.: Please, CC to me as well. I forgot to mention it in my last mail. That
      way the answer gets to me faster (archives seem to be updated once a
      day).
 - P.