Re: devices now working, have new X, which is more interesting...

Quoting Phil Fraering <pgf@globalreach.net>:

> Well, thanks to Ethan's advice, I was able to reboot using the
> CD and yaboot from the MacOS partition (that's not too risky, is
> it?), copy the device files from /dev to the mounted root file
> system, and from there I was able to run MAKEDEV once I was
> sort-of up and running (which should regularize /dev, right?)
>
> A couple problems I'm having:
>
> * I don't currently have a /dev/xconsole.

./MAKEDEV in the /dev directory should help you...

> * http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh still doesn't work.
>
> * Using Hadess' XF86Config, X still doesn't work. Although this
> crash is much more interesting. The screen blanks, and there's a
> horizontal line, and it gradually changes brightness.
> control-alt-delete doesn't seem to abort X when that happens.

Happened to me as well when you try to run X using the OFFB, very weird stuff...
Try with the kernel arguments I (might) have given to you. Aty128fb has to be
used otherwise it doesn't work, don't ask me why...
it is: append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:10:depth:8"

> I'm about to try it again after removing enlightenment.
> It still happened.

It's X' fault.

> * Hadess has the mouse going to /dev/usbmouse. Should this be a
> symlink to /dev/input/mice?

Yes it is.

Grab the dmasound hack. http://students.washington.edu/mpalczew/

> * How much would I benefit from trying to compile my own kernel, as
> opposed to continuing to use 2.2.18pre17-benh?

It's your own...

> I think I'm going to wrap it up, and go home now. Is it possible I'm
> missing something in /dev that could be causing the X crashes?
>
> Thanks a lot for the help y'all have already given; I don't think I'd
> have gotten to the point of having it lock up if y'all hadn't.
>
> (Hey, it's at least progress :-)
>
> Phil
> pgf@globalreach.net

Cheers