Re: devices now working, have new X, which is more interesting...

Hadess (I think) wrote:

> > Well, thanks to Ethan's advice, I was able to reboot using the
> > CD and yaboot from the MacOS partition (that's not too risky, is
> > it?), copy the device files from /dev to the mounted root file
> > system, and from there I was able to run MAKEDEV once I was
> > sort-of up and running (which should regularize /dev, right?)

> > A couple problems I'm having:

> > * I don't currently have a /dev/xconsole.

> ./MAKEDEV in the /dev directory should help you...

The MAKEDEV in the /dev directory is different than the one in
/sbin that I've been using?

> > * http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh still doesn't work.
> >
> > * Using Hadess' XF86Config, X still doesn't work. Although this
> > crash is much more interesting. The screen blanks, and there's a
> > horizontal line, and it gradually changes brightness.
> > control-alt-delete doesn't seem to abort X when that happens.

> Happened to me as well when you try to run X using the OFFB, very weird stuff...
> Try with the kernel arguments I (might) have given to you. Aty128fb has to be
> used otherwise it doesn't work, don't ask me why...
> it is: append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:10:depth:8"

I have that already.

> > I'm about to try it again after removing enlightenment.
> > It still happened.

> It's X' fault.

Ah.

> > * Hadess has the mouse going to /dev/usbmouse. Should this be a
> > symlink to /dev/input/mice?

> Yes it is.

I will check that and make it a symlink then.

> > * I made audio, but I don't know if sound works yet. wavp doesn't
> > seem to be working.

> Grab the dmasound hack. http://students.washington.edu/mpalczew/

I will.

> > * How much would I benefit from trying to compile my own kernel, as
> > opposed to continuing to use 2.2.18pre17-benh?

> It's your own...

That's a point.

Unfortunately I have to make a quick business trip, but I'll try everything out
when I get back.

Phil
pgf@globalreach.net