Re: floppy low-level format

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 06:24:30AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> do you also have a floppy drive in a powerpc machine?  if so take a
> 1.44MB floppy you don't care about stick it in the drive and run:
>
> superformat --superverify /dev/fd0
>
> you can drop the superverify i suppose.  if it fails its broken (or
> your floppy is crap) try it on a known good floppy if possible...

[jrm]$ superformat /dev/fd0 hd
get drive characteristics: Unknown error 515
[jrm]$ eject /floppy
eject: unable to open `/dev/fd0'
[jrm]$ dpkg -l |grep fdutils
ii  fdutils        5.3-3          Linux floppy utilities
[jrm]$ man superformat
       <snip>
       When the  disk  is  formatted,  superformat  automatically
       invokes  mformat  in  order to put an MS-DOS filesystem on
       it. You may ignore this filesystem, if you don't need  it.

This is Potato on a beige G3 with a floppy drive.  The floppy had
seemed okay, HFS formatted.  If it would help anyone, I would be
willing to do more tests.  But I would appreciate advice on how to get
around the ejection problem without rebooting.

--
John (MacPhail) .. .. .. .. .. .. References: \ & (Perl, C/C++)