Re: XF4.0.1 on Debian and PowerMac problems....

"W. Crowshaw" wrote:

> Since I could get X 3.3.6 running on my Debian 2.2.17 installed
> PowerMac 7500 (4MB VRAM, 604e ),

What was the problem with 3.3.6?

> I decided to try upgrading X to 4.0.1. I followed roughly the directions
> given at http://linuxppc.org/documentation/xf4/.  However, I have
> encountered a number of problems.
>
> First and foremost, X doesn't come up.  Either at system startup or
> startx-ing, I get the follow message:

[...]

First of all, 4.0.1 is already rather old, 4.0.2 is waiting around the corner.
The current Debian 4.0.1 X packages should work fine on PPC and follow the
XFree86 development in CVS. Installing those packages might involve an upgrade
to woody, but as you seem to build X yourself you could as well built the
packages yourself.

> Now I am pretty sure I edited the file /etc/X11/XF86Config correctly
> following the new specifications.

Yes, looks good.

> The most important changed seems to be the BUSID in the "Device Section."
> Running "cat /proc/pci", I got two BusID alternatives: either "PCI:0:11:0"
> for Bandit or "PCI:0:16:0" for Grand.  Alternating between both options
> seems to make no difference.

Have you tried without the bus ID? :)

Please post the output of lspci. For graphics hardware which isn't visible as
a standard PCI video device, the bus ID isn't necessary. Maybe it's even the
problem in your case.

> There are some further details as well.  I have made
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 my default X server in file /etc/X11/Xserver.
> Building X4.0.1 did not produce an Xserver called XF68_FBDev.

This is normal. There is now only one binary called XFree86 anymore which
loads everything as modules.

> My second problem with installed X 4.0.1 relates to xfs.  Previously,
> using X 3.3.6, the font server would always come up on startup, even
> when X itself failed.  With X 4.0.1, now xfs also fails. On startup I
> get the following message:
> "Starting X font server: xfs/usr/bin/X11/xfs: error in loading shared
> libraries: libXfont.so./: cannot open shared object file: No such
                         ^
I assume this should be a '1'?

> file or directory"

Have you installed the 4.x libraries and run ldconfig after that?

> If you can provide me any information, I would greatly appreciate it.
> I am almost going to give up on Debian and move to LinuxPPC because I
> can get the Xserver 3.3.6 at least running on that install.

Let's hope we can keep you on board...

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project