Re: new input layer... what did I do wrong?

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 09:53:18AM -0600, Phil Fraering wrote:

> Well, after reading replies from various people, I decided to try
> to get the new input layer working.
>
> There was an rpm on the site in Germany (linked to from Benh's page)
> that looked as if it would repopulate the /dev file system if I
> installed it. I looked at it with alien first, to make sure.

BAD idea.  you only need to create a couple nodes in /dev/input/ (and
create that directory) nothing more, you certainly don't have to nuke
all the debian created device files and replace them with the redhat
set...

i would remake /dev with debian's MAKEDEV script now.

> So I went ahead and converted it to .deb and installed... and
> it froze up before I could reboot.

i can certainly see how redhat rpms can totally hose a debian box, but
i don't quite see how it would make the kernel just lock up.  though
from your dmesg below it looks like it might be to the point of
starting init, which might be screwed if /dev is hosed.

> Is there a boot option that will get me out of this?

you could try -b for emergency mode, but that still runs init, which i
think is what is puking.  you could also try init=/bin/sh where you
can then manually fsck and remount / and procede to rebuild /dev from
scratch.  see if that fixes it.

read Ben's page, it explains how to use mknod to create the needed
nodes yourself, its not that hard you don't need an rpm to do it.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/