new input layer... what did I do wrong?

Well, after reading replies from various people, I decided to try
to get the new input layer working.

There was an rpm on the site in Germany (linked to from Benh's page)
that looked as if it would repopulate the /dev file system if I
installed it. I looked at it with alien first, to make sure.

So I went ahead and converted it to .deb and installed... and
it froze up before I could reboot.

When I try to reboot, I eventually get the following messages:

PCI: Enabling bus mastering for device 00:c0
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0x8832000, IRQ 27
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Enabling bus mastering for device 00:c8
PCI: Increasing latency timer of device 00:c8 to 64
__ioremap(): phys addr 0 is RAM lr c0011e44
usb-ohci.c: Error mapping OHCI memory
VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 100 k init 32k prep

And that's when it freezes.

BTW, the buffer history (shift-pageup) still works.

If more detail would help, let me know. I'm typing in by copying
over from the screen of the crashed machine.

Is there a boot option that will get me out of this?

Phil
pgf@globalreach.net