Re: Need help installing Potatoe on G4

Ok Al Gore.....

Try manually entering in information in the /etc/passwd file and see if it saves ok. It appears as though the install program is attempting to read configuration information from the disk but isn't finding a file, so it defaults back to ask you for the information again. I am trusting you chose to use shadow passwords, yes? Unless you have a reason not to use them, I recommend using MD5 passwords, although that won't cause the problem you're experiencing. Make sure that your partitions are all squared away, and if that still doesn't work, then completely erase the partition table of the disk (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=10), replacing sda with whatever drive your root resides on, repartition and reformat, and then try to install again.

Eric