Re: XFree 4.0.1-8 won't run on r128/ppc

sculpsit mbrubeck:
> I have a slot-loading iMac with Rage 128 video. All of the phase2 test
> packages of XFree86 4 ran fine on this machine.
>
> After upgrading xserver-xfree86 from phase2v27 to 4.0.1-8, the X server
> dies on startup with the following error (full log attached):

> (EE) R128(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (4)
> (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a
> (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> I've tried generating a new config file with dexter, turning UseFBDev on
> and off, and changing the driver from "r128" to "ati". The error is
> unchanged.
>
> The server will run if I use the fbdev driver, but without acceleration.

exactly the same problem here on a powermac g4. additionally, i find that
when the display blanks (using the fbdev driver, of course) i lose the
console totally and can't regain it by any means other than rebooting the
machine. i'm experimenting with `xset s off` as we speak to see if that can
make any difference.

one thing i don't understand is why, when the fbdev driver uses the
"default" mode, it *still* queries the framebuffer and then sets it
explicitly. if it just reused the existing settings, for instance, i could
use offb (which is readonly and doesn't support being set explicitly) to run
x.
--
dog