Re: Motif or GNOME? (semi-repost)

Quoting Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:

> On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 05:45:32PM +0000, Hadess wrote:
> > Bill wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, I tried to ask this earlier but got my terminology mixed up and
> > > don't think my question made sense. I'll try again.
> > >
> > > I need to develop an app for analyzing data and graphically (3D)
> > > displaying results, preferrably with C++, X Windows, and OpenGL.
> > >
> > > I need to be able to move my development efforts, and the app
> itself, to
> > > as many platforms as possible as I'll be moving and don't know what
> kind of
> > > platform will be at my next locale.
> > >
> > > Second priority is speed, as it will be extremely computational- and
> > > diskI/O- intensive.
> > >
> > > Should I use Motif, or the newer GNOME (or KDE)?
> >
> > Gtk and Gnome are very nice to write apps with, and Gtk+ has been
> ported
> > to quite a few platforms, although the ports are still in development
> in
> > Gtk+ 2.0. Gtk+ has a GL widget called GtkGLarea, and C++ bindings
> (Gtk--
> > is the most advanced afaik)
> >
> > You might want to look at Qt if your app is going to be GPL, it has a
> > Windows port, and is C++ mainly (although Python bindings exist I've
> > heard).
> > I don't know about OpenGL, but if your app is not GPL, you'd have to
> pay
> > big money.
>
> Why is that ? OpenGL is part of Xfree 4.0.x (donated by SGI), and i
> think
> to use OpenGL, you just need to have the developpment packages of Xfree
> 4
> installed (and Xfree 4 made it to woody on november 2 :)))

I already privately replied to Bill about this one, I said that I don't know if
Qt has easy bindings for OpenGL, and that the Qt license is so that if your app
isn't GPL, you will have to get a license from Troll Tech and it can be
expensive.
What I didn't say is that you have to pay to create OpenGL applications. You do
not have to pay to create OpenGL applications.

/Hadess
http://hadess.net