Re: Motif or GNOME? (semi-repost)

Bill wrote:

> Hi, I tried to ask this earlier but got my terminology mixed up and I
> don't think my question made sense. I'll try again.
>
> I need to develop an app for analyzing data and graphically (3D)
> displaying results, preferrably with C++, X Windows, and OpenGL.
>
> I need to be able to move my development efforts, and the app itself, to
> as many platforms as possible as I'll be moving and don't know what kind of
> platform will be at my next locale.
>
> Second priority is speed, as it will be extremely computational- and
> diskI/O- intensive.
>
> Should I use Motif, or the newer GNOME (or KDE)?

Gtk and Gnome are very nice to write apps with, and Gtk+ has been ported
to quite a few platforms, although the ports are still in development in
Gtk+ 2.0. Gtk+ has a GL widget called GtkGLarea, and C++ bindings (Gtk--
is the most advanced afaik)

You might want to look at Qt if your app is going to be GPL, it has a
Windows port, and is C++ mainly (although Python bindings exist I've
heard).
I don't know about OpenGL, but if your app is not GPL, you'd have to pay
big money.

Of course Motif is out of question, as it is X-Windows only and crappy.

Hope this helps

--
/Hadess
http://hadess.net