Re: cursing my yboot'd Lombard

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > Hi, all.  I just set up yaboot to boot instead of BootX.  I rebooted, and
> > notice that the cursor is black.  The kernel is 2.2.17 out of woody on a
> > Lombard (1999 G3 333MHz PowerBook).
>
> Happens sometime, for reasons yet unknown. What seems to happen is
> that the cursor changes color to black. Feel free to look up where
> the cursor color gets set, and pepper the fbcon code with printk to find
> where it goes wrong.

However, the reason is known: the fbcon-* code draws the cursor by xor'ing the
pixel values with a mask consisting of all 1's. This is not correct for
directcolor modes (e.g. 16, 24 and 32 bpp on ATI Mach64), where the color of
the cursor depends on what leftovers are present in the palette registers.

The fix is to make fbcon-* use a mask in the 17th entry of
display->dispsw_data[], and to make drivers fill in this field where
appropriate.

About one month ago, Takashi Oe said that he was willing to work on this...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds