Re: PCMCIA-Probleme

[note to poster: this mailing list uses english language per convention.
There are german language lists AFAIK, see the web site. Germans do learn
English in school, that I know for a fact, so the language should not
pose much of a problem as not all of us are native speakers here.]

> ich versuche verzweifelt Debian 2.2 auf meinem Powerbook zu
> installieren. Jedesmal, wenn ich im Installationsprogramm PCMCIA
> konfigurieren möchte, hängt sich der Mac auf (Kernel panic: machine

Translation: kernel crashes when PCMCIA config is run during
initial install (from ramdisk I guess). Machine is some PowerBook of
unknown variety.

We'd need to know two things: what Powerbook model did that happen on
(2000, 1999 bronze keyboard or older), and does the Debian install kernel
contain the patch required to make PCMCIA work on Powerbooks (something
with enabling the PCI interrupt on the cardbrige). Latter question is for
the person that built the install kernel (Dan?)

I've tried PCMCIA with a 2.2.17 or 2.2.18 kernel (BenH's development tree)
and PCMCIA did _not_ work. It didn't panic either, though. With a recent
2.4.0test kernel, PCMCIA worked like a charm.
That's been on my old LinuxPPC installation, but as this is most likely a
kernel issue it won't be different for Debian.

> check rebooting in 180 seconds). Ich weiß auch nicht, ob ich einen
> i82365 oder tcic -Controller nehmen soll und welche Einstellungen ich
> für den Controller vornehmen muss

Translation: what's the type of controller. i82365 or tcic ? What special
settngs are required?

i82365 I think, and the address mappings need to be adjusted (see lspci
-vv output to figure out what address range the cardbridge maps to).
There's a web site on PCMCIA for Powerbooks, see www.penguinppc.org for
URLs.

> Wenn ich PCMCIA nicht konfiguriere, geschieht das gleiche beim ersten
> Neustart (Nur das Basissystem ist installiert)

Translation: panics on booting from installed base system, just the same
as during installation.

Just remove pcmcia from the list of subsystems initialized at boot.

> Ich komme über manuelles Mounten aus dem Installprogrann auf die
> Partition, auf welcher vorher Debian installiert wurde. Könnte also
> Config-Dateien ändern.

Either remove all S??pcmcia symlinks from /etc/rc?.d or place an exit
statement early into /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia. Or just rename
/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia...

	Michael