Re: [BUG?] Dependency issues

"C.M. Connelly" wrote:

> 3.  Just like 1 or 2, but one of the binary packages cannot be
>     built on PowerPC because of a coding or dependency problem.
>     These problems won't be fixed until someone can take a look at
>     the problem, solve it, and submit a patch or upload a new
>     version of the offending package.  (A recent example was
>     libglade, which couldn't be compiled with the current version
>     of the bonobo package.  (That problem has been resolved.))

The problem-du-jour here is that gnome-core depends on gtkhtml which depends on an
unreleased version of libcapplet (1.3.0, 1.2.2 has been the available source version
of control-center for over a week, so I guess it's the problem-du-semaine :-).  There
isn't even a control-center 1.3.0 in incoming.  I think this is really bad packaging
practice, and have just filed a strongly-worded "important" severity bug (#76300).

Thanks for the apt-get source tutorial.  One detail:

> If you want to have the packages *now*, you can download the
> source and build them yourself (if your /etc/apt/sources.list file
> has the necessary deb-src lines (just like the deb lines, but with
> deb-src instead, usually), you can type (as root)
>
>    apt-get -b source <package>
>
> which will download and build the package; or, as an ordinary user
>
>    apt-get source <package>

or "fakeroot apt-get -b source package" will build the package(s) for an ordinary user
too.

-Adam P.