Install problem No init found

Hello

I am trying to install Debian Power PC GNU/Linux 2.2 rev 0 non US on to a Power Mac 2700/75 (system outline below). The 2700/75 will not boot from the CD which is understandable because it is not a -new world mac– with -open firmware–. The problem I am having is it will not boot from the Rescue Floppy disk or from BootX description as follows:

Rescue Floppy disk:
After about 40 seconds of reading the boot floppy and displaying tux sitting next to a mac (which means no text so no error messages) the screen goes blank and the 2700/75 seems to hang. Tried three different floppies same thing happen each time. The last two floppies were tested in a PowerCenter 150 clone I have and worked fine. Tested the floppy mech by booting the 2700/75 using a Mac boot disk which also worked fine.

BootX:
Unperturbed I next installed BootX v1.2.2 into the System Folder using vmlinux as boot kernel. Things when a little better this time if only because I had text on screen. But the system still hung at this error message:

Warning: unable to open init console.
Kernel Panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

So far I have been unable to track down any reference to this in the install help documents. I would be very grateful if any one could give me a pointer as to what to do next.

The end goal is to run the 2700/75 as a Debian only system.

Look forward to receiving any helpful suggests

James

System Outline:
Power Mac 7200/75
Mac OS9
CD-ROM
32MB RAM
External L2 cache 512K
SCSI  ID = 6 Hard Drive 1.19GB one Mac hfs partition
SCSI  ID = 4 Hard Drive 520MB one Mac hfs partition (System disc)

James Aitken
W: +44 (0) 20 8547 0470
H: +44 (0) 1322 404582
M: +44 (0) 7768 057306
E: james@soon.co.uk

Be whoever you want to be with another.com
Just click here: http://another.com/jump.jsp?destDesc=another.com/login.jsp?sig=390