Re: usb support

> p.s. I'm using bootx, which is not recommended for new-worlds, but I don't
> know what else to use, and i'm not at all sure that that's the problem.

This could account for it.  I had to use yaboot when installing
on my G4.

http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/

I had a zip drive to boot off of, which was very helpful.
The steps went something like this:

1)  HFS format a zip disk
2)  On the zip disk, place the yaboot binary, a suitable
    yaboot.conf file, a kernel, and the installation boot
    image.  In my case, the files were
	yaboot
        yaboot.conf
	vmlinux-2.2.15pre14-ben1
	ramdisk.image.gz

    Ugh, I've been racking my brain to remember exactly what
    the yaboot.conf file looked like, but can't off the top of
    my head.
3)  While the machine is booting, press CTRL-APPLE-O-F to
    get into the open firmware prompt.
4)  Once you're in the open firmware prompt, type
        boot zip:yaboot
    where "yaboot" is the name you saved the yaboot binary as,
    which was, at one time, "yaboot_0.6" in my case.

This will start the installation process.  Yaboot is also
the bootloader you want to use to boot into linux after
you're done with the installation.  At first I modified
my yaboot.conf file on the zip disk to boot from my hard
drive.  This gave me time to figure out getting yaboot
written to the Apple_Bootstrap partition.

I used the mac-fdisk program (from within the debian installer)
to make an 800K partition (1600 blocks) called "yaboot" of
type "Apple_Bootstrap".  The name of the partition doesn't matter,
but the type does: it keeps Apple's disk partitioning tools
from clobbering your yaboot partition.  I placed this partition
after all the Apple_Driver_* and Apple_Patches partitions.
Here's my partition table for inspiration:

        #                    type name                   length   base
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                      63 @ 1
/dev/hda2          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                  54 @ 64
/dev/hda3          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                  74 @ 118
/dev/hda4        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                  54 @ 192
/dev/hda5        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                  74 @ 246
/dev/hda6          Apple_FWDriver Macintosh                 200 @ 320
/dev/hda7      Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh                 512 @ 520
/dev/hda8           Apple_Patches Patch Partition           512 @ 1032
/dev/hda9         Apple_Bootstrap yaboot                   1600 @ 1544
/dev/hda10        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 one                   2589353 @ 3144
/dev/hda11        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 two                   2097152 @ 2592497
/dev/hda12        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                   260069 @ 4689649
/dev/hda13        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 three                11580065 @ 4949718
/dev/hda14              Apple_HFS untitled 3            3536457 @ 16529783
/dev/hda15             Apple_Free Extra                      11 @ 20066240

Once the installation was over with, getting yaboot written to
its partition took some playing.  There's a program called
"ybin" that does this job for you.  Incidentally, there's an
alternate name under which you invoke "ybin", called "mkofboot".
Invoking it this way causes the bootstrap partition to be freshly
formatted (HFS).  You have to do this the first time you run ybin.
Running it this way also helps to make sure an old configuration
is properly overwritten.

There were a couple of deb packages that I needed that were
NOT on the installation CD.  You see, the ybin program needs to
run a program called "nvsetenv" in order to make OpenFirmware
boot off of the yaboot partition automagically -- but it needed
to be a more recent version of nvsetenv than was in potato when
it was released.  You can get it by installing

http://screaming.org/~pohl/powerpc-utils_1.1.3-2_powerpc.deb

Someone else may have a more recent version.  This was the one that
got me going.

----
pohl@screaming.org