Help with root fs

I'm trying to install Debian on an IBM RS/6000, but I'm having problems
getting the computer to mount floppies, and I had to build a custom kernel
in order to get it to boot properly.  Is there a way that I can extract
the contents of the root.bin image into a folder which I can mount via
NFS?  I need at least a temporary root fs to mount so that I can get the
base system installed.  I tried to mount the floppies after I wrote the
images to them, but I don't know what the fs type is for them.  Can
anybody help with either of these two questions?

Eric