Re: boot problem 8500/120

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 10:17:32AM -0500, Matt Grant wrote:
> I made the two boot disks ,booted up, and  partitioned my Hard disks
> /dev/sda1 partition map
> /dev/sda2 /
> /dev/sdb1 partion map
> /dev/sdb2 swap
> /dev/sdb3 /usr
>  I get through the install and when I reboot I get a Mac Disk flashing with
> an X in the middle(I think this means The Mac HardWare can't find a OS)
>
> I don't want to run Mac OS I just want debian. I went through the Docs and am
> Confused about a bootmanager or a bootstrap loader. If someone can help
> I would appreciate it.

i assume you ran the `make bootable from disk'  this should install
quik, and it should work.

but you still need to fix the OpenFirmware boot-device variable.  use
nvsetenv boot-device scsi/sd@0:0 or something like that.

i have a script to help find the OpenFirwmare device its in my ybin
distribution (which is otherwise newworld only) its called ofpath.
its also in the yaboot package in proposed-updates.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/