Re: HELP! Killed Powerbook!

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 11:37:01PM +0100, Michael Flaig wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I wanted to install Debian on my new Powerbook. Wasn´t a good idea.
> Nothing booted ...
> ... not debian
> ... not macOS
>
> The 4 Apple Partitions were there. I re-inizialized the partition map and then the macos rescue
> can´t find the harddisk any more.

exactly what kind of powerbook is this?  (/me curses apple's new
unambiguous naming conventions)

> What can I do to get this Partitions Back?
> I resized the partiton map i think. It was over 500 GB ...
> Now i´ve the normal size back but the lenth and base of the partitons are gone ...

i am not sure what you mean here.  what i think you did was
repartition the disk in debian killing all those crufty driver
partitions, but you still want to use MacOS.

MacOS requires those driver cruft partitions in order to boot.

if the machine does not need macos and its oldworld you can do without
the driver partitions by booting with quik.  if its newworld you also
don't need them you just need one small 800K Apple_Bootstrap partition
setup by ybin to boot.

but for MacOS you must have the drivers.

> can I restore this data ?
> how ?

i don't know about restoring data that will be hard.  but to make the
disk usable again:

boot a MacOS CD, run drive setup (OS 8.6 drive setup is OK) initialize
the disk with 2 partitions, the first being HFS and being the total
size you want to allocate to GNU/Linux.  the second being for MacOS.

then install MacOS on the second partition.

then boot debian installer, and delete that first HFS partition (not
the drivers!) for newworld create 800K Apple_Bootstrap partition and
the rest of your GNU partitions.  then install debian and make sure to
install a bootloader, quik for oldworld, ybin/yaboot for newworld.

see http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/ for the parittion howto

note this procedure will destroy any remaining data on the disk.  to
recover that i am not sure what to do, i need more info on the
condidtion of the disk... you probably need expensive proprietary
macos software to do it...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/