Re: Partitioning hd on Dual G4 with pdisk

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 12:23:39PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > I'm trying to find the way to install LinuxPPC or Debian on this machine, so
> > first of all I've to format one partition with pdisk.
> > But here is its output:
> >
> > Top level command (? for help): L
> > ATAPI - unit not ready
> > pdisk: can't open file '/dev/ata0.0'
> > ATA - couldn't get info
> > pdisk: can't open file '/dev/ata0.1'
> > ATA - couldn't get info
> > pdisk: can't open file '/dev/ata1.0'
> > ATA - couldn't get info
> > pdisk: can't open file '/dev/ata1.1'
>
> How about just using Drive Setup to reserve some space for Linux, and
> partition from the Debian installer? Apple may have changed the disk API
> in MacOS 9, and the MacOS version of pdisk may well predate OS 9.

i think the macos version of pdisk is indeed broken.  one thing to
note if you have this many disks then why not dedicate one entirely to
GNU/Linux?  in that case there is no need to do anything with apple's
tools, just create an empty partition table with your 800K
Apple_Bootstrap partition and the debian partitions.

see my partitioning doc at http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/  for
help with partitioning.  (also at http://www.penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/)

--
Ethan Benson