Linux driver for AttoTech SCSI controller?

I'm a newcomer to this list, I hope my question complies with its
rules of conduct.

  My department has a Macintosh Server G3 (1998), featuring an
Atto ExpressPCI PSC v1.2 SCSI controller (for a 4G hard disk).
We'd like to install Linux on this server, for several good reasons
which need not be explained ;-). I don't know yet whether a Linux
driver for our SCSI controller exists, though. Linux distributions
supporting PowerPC architectures are proliferating nowadays, but
Atto Technology is not (yet?) included among the "Linux-friendly"
hardware manufacturers. I'm thus taking the trouble of looking for
individual cases or experiments where support for ATTO SCSI drivers
may have been attempted. So far, I found the following (quoted from
the Yellow Dog Linux support pages, http://www.yellowdoglinux.com ):

   * YellowdogLinux (?)-supported SCSI drivers

   What devices are NOT yet supported?
   [...]
   Based upon user feedback, the Apple-bundled ATTO ExpressPCIProUL3D SCSI
   card doesn't play nice with CS 1.2/1.2.1. The ATTO ExpressPCIProUL2D
   card works fine (Symbios-based iirc). Some work, some don't.

Neither card looks like ours, yet they are ATTO SCSI controllers, that
means that somebody is trying hard (with some success, sometimes) to
extend Linux support to this hardware. Does someone in this list
happen to know of somebody who managed (or at least tried) to get a
Linux driver for the subject SCSI controller, or something alike?

  Thank you very much, in advance, for any help.
                                                 Giuseppe Scollo
Dr. G. Scollo, University of Verona, DST, Software Engineering
scollo@arena.sci.univr.it    http://arena.sci.univr.it/~scollo