Re: dual boot

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 01:49:01PM +0200, Olaf wrote:

> > actual menu of OS choices.
>
> Yes again; I tried it eagerly some while ago but since I switch OSs very
> often, I like the simplicity and speed of os-at-your-fingertip(tm). I
> noticed the really neat graphical boot-menu took quite some time until I
> could click a partition - since neither Linux nor MacOS can be called
> quick at bootup, I tried to circumvent this way of dual-boot.

thats the OpenFirmware boot chooser which is indeed slow since it
scans all partitions (and disks?) for bootable partitions, the
bootscript newwer ybin generates is not slow, it appears instantly and
shows a list (not icons)

its a matter of prefernce i suppose, i tend to prefer a basic visable
text menu to big bloated GUIs or invisible key incantations that apple
is so fond of.  with the latter i always miss it and end up rebooting
unecessarly to get back to the bootloader.

in any event the older bootscripts are still included in current
ybin/yaboot packages.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/