Re: ppc vs. i386

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 09:13:08PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > debian ppc is slow compared to debian i386
>
> So what? Debian/i386 is slow compared to Debian/alpha I guess. Debian on a
> 386 sure is hell of a lot slower than Debian on my G3/400. What exactly is
> your point here?
>
> If you're interested (and not just trolling) I can give you some CPU
> benchmarks run with a floating point intensive number crunching
> application to compare a G3/400 with a range of Intel machines (PI/233 to
> PIII/500 currently).

ive found my G3/400 to be about on par with my celery 466, the only
thing that seems slower on ppc to me is the compiler, and the
framebuffer (compared to VGA textmode which is not fair ;-))

> > what do u think about...?
>
> I'm sooooo glad I don't have to cope with crap like BIOS or Lilo on PPC,
> I'd gladly take a minor performance hit of 6-12%.

i dunno about that, ive found the OpenFirmware on ppc to be nearly as
irritating and broken as the intel BIOS crap.  but then again im the
one making the tools to get the bootloader working as cleanly as
possible if they are used correctly it does not seem so bad ;-)

but thats only talking about newworld, i would gladly take broken
intel BIOS over oldworld BrokenFirmware any day.

if you want nice firmware/bios get a Sun Sparc.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/