xserver crashes

My XServer crashes a lot (about once every 3 hours) forcing me to hit
ctrl-opt-delete and restarting X from the console. My mouse ends up in
the lower right-hand corner and I can move a window somewhat for a short
while until it really locks up. I'm not sure what the problem is
although I suspect a bad XFree86Config file. I had to make several edits
to this file just to get X running. I am not sure if this is helpful or
not, but this is the error messages I see in the console:

xscreensaver: X SERVER BUG: 1280X1024 viewport -1,-1 is impossible
xscreensaver: The XVidMode server extension is returning nonsense
xscreensaver: Please report this bug to your X server vendor

Unable to bind port 16001
Unable to bind port 16001
Unable to bind port 16001
Unable to bind port 16001
xinit: connection to X server lost

I am running in 1280x1024 with 16 bit color with an XClaim3D 8MB video
card with xfree86 3.3.6.x dpkgs from potato.

Does anybody know how I can fix this? Thanks.

Taro