Re: CD-R Bootable?

Nate Duehr wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Long-time linux user, new to Mac.  Bought a nifty little iMac DV SE (the
> 500Mhz G3 version) last weekend and have been messing around with it.
> Nice machine!

How far through bugdom have you got?

> Read through all the Debian docs and Ethan's stuff on his site.  Nice
> job, guys.
>
> Created a Debian-PPC ISO image and burnt a CD-R to "ease" installation.
>
> Repartitioned the drive with Apple's tool to have a small partition up
> front for the boot gymnastics, an HFS+ partition for OS9, and a bunch
> (20 MB) of unallocated space to put other toys in (OS X, Linux).
>
> The plan was to then boot from the CD-R and finish up with mac-fdisk.
>
> >From reading, I thought that the Debian-PPC CD-R should have been
> bootable.  I know about holding down C during the boot, etc.  It won't
> boot.  It *is* perfectly readable however.

I can answer this one (having just trodden the same path).

Go into open firmware (Apple-Alt-O-F at boot) and type:

boot cd:,\\yaboot

and you'll be there.  The imac is apparently too new for the CD.

John

--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/