raid troubles

has anyone else gotten a raid0 drive set up and moutned successfully?
I'm having  difficulties with raidtools 0.42-22 from woody. Should I be
using raidtools2? If so, I need to patch my kernel source (2.2.17),
right?

mdadd is giving me:

# mdadd -a
md_add(): zero device size, huh, bailing out.
/dev/hda7: Invalid argument
md_add(): zero device size, huh, bailing out.
/dev/hdc7: Invalid argument

where /etc/mdtab contains:

# mdtab entry for /dev/md0
/dev/md0        raid0,4k,0,08a07cef     /dev/hda7 /dev/hdc7

which was generated with mdcreate.

both hdc7 and hda7 are valid partitions, and mount fine on their own.
the "md_add(): zero device size, huh, bailing out." line is actually a
kernel message, and is dumped to /var/log/messages as well.

Anyone have any suggestions? I set one up on a PC, and it seems to be
running fine...

-JM