Re: Motorola Starmax 3000/180, RTL 8139/8029, and a /big/ quandary

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > The RTL8029 is a PCI NE2000 clone. `modprobe ne2k-pci' should work.
> >
> > Hooray, it worked!!  Thank you very much!  I'm getting solid 650 MB/s through it, which may be limited by my hub; but that's a good bit more than the cable modem will give me so it's all I need.
>
> I assume you mean `650 kB/s'? That sounds more normal :-)

D'oh!  Yeah, that's right. :-)

> > This cries out for a patch to at the very least Documentation/Configure.help, and probably drivers/net/Config.in.  Are there many other NE2000 clones?  I'll put together patches for 2.2 and 2.4
> > within the next week or so, unless someone gives a good reason not to.
>
> Yes, almost all cheap Ethernet cards are NE2000 clones. The list of (known and
> supported) PCI NE2000 clones is in drivers/net/ne2k-pci.c (pci_clone_list[]),
> and probably also in the Ethernet-HOWTO (cfr. Documentation/Configure.help).

Ah, I see.  I was thinking along the lines of a patch to drivers/net/Config.in to say "PCI NE2000 and clones (see help)" and then put the list of clones in the appropriate section of
Documentation/Configure.help.  Also, in the rtl8139 section, it says something like "NOT 8029!", I'd make it "NOT 8209, which is a PCI NE2000 clone".

I think this would be very helpful, do you think it would fly?

> Unfortunately most no-name Ethernet cards are sold in boxes that don't mention
> what's really inside, just that there's a floppy with a driver for Windows :-(

Not only that, lspci gives a name which is incongruent with the driver it needs!

> > Previously on this thread I asked why there are so few network card modules in the Debian pmac .config.  Now let me add: why does i386 have CONFIG_FILTER, CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL, CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE,
> > etc., and we don't?  If there is no particular reason, I'll file a (wishlist) bug report against kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac, and hope the change gets into 2.2r1.  (Not that 2.2.17 boots on my
> > StarMax 3000 with quik, but it might be helpful for some others.)
>
> Are you sure these are not available on PPC? I see no reason why these generic
> networking options wouldn't work. Perhaps people simply forgot to enable them
> when compiling the Debian kernel?

Yes, that's my point, I think the Debian kernel should be built with those options enabled.  I installed dhcp-client on my Celeron laptop with no problem because the relevant options were in the
default kernel, but on pmac had to build a new kernel.  Likewise with IP masquerading, which on i386 is a simple matter of installing the ipmasq package, the Debian i386 kernel has everything it needs;
on pmac I had to rebuild a second kernel for that too (silly me for not checking those options the first time :-).

This is not a big problem for me, but it would be a lot more convenient for everyone, especially newbies, if the Debian pmac kernel had these things built in too.

I'll post a diff vs. the Debian config early next week, based largely on the i386 config, and see what people think.  Or is there something special about PPC or pmac such that we don't want to have
these things in the default kernel?

Thanks,

-Adam P.