Re: Motorola Starmax 3000/180, RTL 8139/8029, and a /big/ quandary

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> The RTL8029 is a PCI NE2000 clone. `modprobe ne2k-pci' should work.

Hooray, it worked!!  Thank you very much!  I'm getting solid 650 MB/s through it, which may be limited by my hub; but that's a good bit more than the cable modem will give me so it's all I need.

This cries out for a patch to at the very least Documentation/Configure.help, and probably drivers/net/Config.in.  Are there many other NE2000 clones?  I'll put together patches for 2.2 and 2.4
within the next week or so, unless someone gives a good reason not to.

Previously on this thread I asked why there are so few network card modules in the Debian pmac .config.  Now let me add: why does i386 have CONFIG_FILTER, CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL, CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE,
etc., and we don't?  If there is no particular reason, I'll file a (wishlist) bug report against kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac, and hope the change gets into 2.2r1.  (Not that 2.2.17 boots on my
StarMax 3000 with quik, but it might be helpful for some others.)

Thanks much once again!

-Adam P.