Re: Debian 2.2 PPC freezes on PCP 210 (now 410 G3)

Hello again,  (scroll down a bit for my response)

 > I am having problems with my computer freezing in Debian GNU/Linux 2.2r0a
 PowerPC which requires that I reboot the machine (using cmd-ctrl-power) to
 continue.  First, before I get into the description of the problem, here's
 my computer's configuration:

 * PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro 210
   - XLR8 MACh Carrier ZIF w/ 366 MHz G3 (overclocked to ~410 MHz)
   - 1 MB backside cache running at ~205 MHz (x1/2 multiplier)
   - ~58.8 MHz system bus speed (PCP rated at 60 MHz) (x7 multiplier)
   - No L2 cache (removed from motherboard)
   - 128 MB RAM (two 64 MB DIMMs)
   - Built-in ATI Rage II+ (4 MB) video (connected via VGA port)
   - Built-in SCSI-2 bus (internal & external used)
     . 4.2 GB Quantum 7200 rpm drive
     . 2.1 GB Western Digital 7200 rpm drive
     . 16x TEAC CD-ROM drive
     . 6x4x16x Yamaha CD-RW drive (external)
   - PCI Adaptec 2930U Ultra SCSI-2 bus (only internal used)
     . 9.1 GB DEC (Quantum?) 7200 rpm drive
   - Built-in 10Base-T Ethernet
 * Extended keyboard (ADB)
 * Kensington TurboMouse 5 (ADB)
 * 17" Monitor (using 5 BNC to VGA cabling)
 * Mac OS 8.6 US
 * Debian GNU/Linux 2.2r0a Official 3 CD Binary Set

Hmm, I don't see anything especially odd there...

Except for possibly the 2930U.  Have you tried installing Debian
without that card plugged in?  Have you tried undoing some of the
overclocking?

The problem with Debian GNU/Linux locking up on me randomly and programs dying with segmentation faults turned out to be from over-clocking my CPU too much. I backed the CPU speed from 410 MHz down to 390 MHz for a 366 MHz rated G3 and everything is working fine now! Thanks for your suggestions Dan, I'm now working on my move to Debian full-time!

This is a purely kernel, not distribution, issue.  I really strongly
suspect you have hardware trouble - it may just be Linux trying to
utilize something more than MacOS does and causing it to break.

The Adaptec SCSI card turned out to be the innocent player in all of this, I'm actually going to use the HD attached to its SCSI chain to run Linux full-time.

Moral of the story: Check your hardware setup first before blaming the OS for your troubles.

A happy Debian user,

Matt
--
Matt Christian  -  mattc@visi.com