nvram problem?

problem:
i can install debian ppc fine from the cd, make it bootable from
the hard drive, the whole thing and it works fine, through as
many reboots as i want.

however, if it actually halt the machine and shut off the power,
upon restart, the kernel hangs when (it looks to me like) it
is scanning devices (it gets to hda dma stuff and chokes) or
(strangely enough) if i remove the dvd drive from the media bay
(it is a powerbook) it then gets past the hda and hangs on a scsi
line. this happens even when booting from the debian cd at this
point, so my only recourse is to reinstall macos, reinstall
debian and then only have a working system until i shut the power
off.

(i sent an earlier message about this, but at that point i
did not understand how to reproduce the problem)

could this be a yaboot configuration problem? once control is
passed to a kernel, yaboot is done, right? anyone know how the
device tree info is made available to the kernel? this problem
almost seems like some open firmware variables the the kernel
gets info from (in some fashion) are only persistent through
restarts and not halts.

thanks,

brendan