Re: yaboot dual boot problems

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 09:09:10PM -0500, pohl wrote:

> I managed to write yaboot to the Apple_Bootstrap partition so
> that it boots linux off of the hard drive.  It's starting to
> make sense to me now.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot boot into MacOS unless I command-option-o-f
> into open firmware and explicitly
>     boot hd:8,\\:tbxi

> This is despite the fact that I deliberately copied the template
> from /usr/doc/yaboot/examples/menu_ofboot.b to /boot/ofboot.b,
> as per the docs, and edited the X's out of the boot lines:

[snip]

this is ybin 0.16, 0.16 sucks ;-)

install 0.21, you can get a deb from http://them.org/~drow/debian

be aware that this deb will probably change alot in the next couple
days.

when you install the new deb setup a yaboot.conf like this:

device=hd:
delay=5
timeout=50
magicboot=/boot/ofboot.b.sh ## this will change in the next deb version
boot=/dev/hda5
install=/boot/yaboot
macos=/dev/hda8

image=/vmlinux
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda7
        partition=7
        read-only

then run mkofboot -v reboot and you will have a dual boot menu with an
option for macos and an option for Debian.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/